Sunday, March 29, 2015

Learning Lessons- Breakfast

Day 29 of 30, Challenge 1

I have learned (taught myself because I don't use recipes) how to make a mean breakfast muffin. Thanks to a friend's sausage spice mix recipe, I am rocking super food breakfasts. However, this morning I had my first epic fail. None of the recipes I saw when I was looking for ideas had a base to their breakfast muffins so I decided, hey, why not potatoes?

Week 1: Super success with russet potatoes cut into rounds at the bottom of my muffins. They browned and got a great texture.

Week 2: Tried to make like a hash-brown quiche bottom. Fell apart and stuck to the pan (forgot to grease it) but crisped up and tasted great.

Week 3 and 4: Again with the hash-browns and monumental success. Week 4 I did prosciutto wrapped muffins by lining the tin with a strip of tasty meat then adding the filling. The hash-brown kinda floated up into the eggs but OMG was it tasty.

Week 5: Failure. Massive. Sweet potatoes get soft. And mushy. And lots of water comes out of them. And they are harder to brown up. An when making an egg based breakfast muffin always make sure your egg to veggie ratio is right and that you try to fill the tins with the same amount of each ingredient... So, yeah, I have six "muffins" of loose kale and sausage and six sturdy muffins, all with a gooey , detached, mushy orange round on the bottom.

Recipe- Amy's Sausage Seasoning
(I triple it so I don't have to mix it up as often and add crushed red pepper)

20g/2 Tbsp kosher salt
4g/1.5 Tbsp rubbed sage
7.5g/.75 Tbsp ground black pepper
4g/1 tsp granulated onion
2g/0.5 tsp granulated garlic
Some fennel seeds- optional

No comments:

Post a Comment